Good afternoon, fellow kitchen enthusiasts!
This blog post I am switching things up a bit to talk about kitchen decorating. Baking can be fun but I know we (and our diet) can all use a break from it from time to time. Over spring break I was especially inspired about kitchen decorating, being in my mothers beautiful, newly renovated 1800’s kitchen for a week, so I thought I would share her insights with you all.
Growing up my mother has always kept a beautiful home. One part of the house she especially takes pride in is her kitchen. She recommends using the brands Mackenzie Child, William Sonoma and Fiesta to give your kitchen an extra something special. These brands may be a little bit pricey, but you’ll collect these pieces a little at a time to have for the rest of your life so the extra cost is worth it!
I’ve found that baking can be even more fun if you’re in a beautiful atmosphere. Check out decorating tips to maximize your surroundings below from my mothers beautiful kitchen:
- Fresh Flowers: Adds a pop of color and livelihood!
- Pot racks: Displays your cookware nicely and optimizes space. My mom recommends using copper bowls because it has a number of benefits. For one, they’re pretty, but they also produce all kinds of reactions with ingredients that can produce fluffier eggs and distribute heat better.
- Wallpaper: Adds beautiful color and design. This wallpaper is from Anthropologie. They have plenty of beautiful wallpaper to choose from that are easy to apply yourself.
- A colorful focal point: Put at least one large, colorful item in your kitchen as a focal point. For us that’s always been our beloved kitchen aid mixer!
- Display cookbooks and other kitchen items on a bookshelf: This is a great way to stay organized and display more of your decorations! This bookshelf is also wallpapered with the spoon wallpaper from Anthropologie listed in tip #3.
- Take out cabinet doors: This opens space to display your items nicely. If you use glass shelves, it adds glamour and gives the allusion of more space.
- Display ingredients in labeled glass jars: This makes your ingredients look nice and makes your life easier! When you’re checking if you have ingredients for a recipe, you can just look at the jar to see how much of the ingredient you have rather than having to open a bag of flour or take off the lid of a spice container to check the amount. Lazy susan’s are also great for efficiency and finding what you need quickly!
- BAR CART: I have been obsessed with the bar cart trend lately and I absolutely love what my mom did with hers. The pretty alcohol bottles with the fresh flowers and limes, and crystal glasses make for a beautiful finish.
- Pretty doggie bowls: As crazy dog people (we have three dachshunds and a basset hound) we couldn’t forget the most important part; including your furry friends in with your decorating! After all, they do play a big part in the kitchen, “helping” by gladly cleaning up any crumbs you drop on the floor. These bowls are also from Mackenzie Childs. They have so many cute, colorful dog accessories to chose from on their website!