I am so excited to share my famous key lime pie recipe with all of you! I’ve been making it for years and it’s always been a huge hit during any occasion I make it for. I make this recipe at least 3 or 4 times every summer and I still can’t get enough of it.
I got this recipe from possibly the best (or at least my favorite) cooking magazine, Southern Living! They did a special magazine a few years back focused on comfort food and this delicious pie made the cut.
This recipe is also great because it’s so easy! You only have four ingredients to whisk together then pour into a pie crust. So simple! Without further ado..
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons key lime zest
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Garnish with key lime zest and slices!
- Before doing anything else, assemble your lime juice and zest! The key limes are so small that it takes a little bit of time. Check out this mountain of limes I needed just to produce the tiny amount of juice! Good things come in little packages, right? 🙂
- Now you can pour your lime juice and zest into a medium sized bowl and whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Mmmm, can you already smell the zesty freshness of the limes?
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until filling is set. The filling will still be gooey even it is ready, but if you move the pie pan and the filling doesn’t move around or if you lightly touch the filling with the tip of your finger and it feels firm you’re good to go!
- Allow to cool for thirty minutes to an hour at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator for about an hour longer to finish cooling!
- While the pie is cooling, make your whipped cream by beating the heavy whipping cream with the sugar until stiff peaks develop. Then, once the pie is cooled you can spread the whipped cream on top with key lime slices and zest to add the beautiful finishing touches!
Eye AND taste bud appealing!! Enjoy! 🙂